A tummy tuck is a cosmetic procedure used to reshape the body into a more desirable contour by removing the excessive fat and skin from the area around the tummy. This is purely a cosmetic procedure meant to enhance your appearance and give the body a more desirable and slimmer shape.
What is Tummy Tuck procedure all about?
A tummy tuck procedure is also known as an ‘abdominoplasty’. It is a surgical procedure which helps to remove the excess fat along with the sagging skin from around the abdomen after pregnancy or significant and drastic weight-loss.
This cosmetic surgical procedure helps tighten the skin and make the abdomen firm.
When to choose Abdominoplasty procedure?
A abdominoplasty procedure is ideal if the person desiring it is in an overall healthy state.
This procedure can help women achieve a taut and slim tummy after having undergone several pregnancies. This procedure flattens the tummy by removing excess fat from the abdominal walls and also by tightening the sagging abdominal muscles.
This is also ideal for patients who have undergone several weight-loss procedures that have dramatically reduced the size of their tummy which leaves the skin loose and saggy around the tummy.
What are the different types of Tummy Tuck procedures?
Tummy tuck procedure (abdominoplasty) is classified into various types depending upon the extent of the surgery.
These are the 3 different types of procedures:
Complete Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A complete abdominoplasty requires:
- Making an incision from one side of the hip to the other, just above the pubic region.
- The incision is made to release the navel from the surrounding skin.
- The skin is separated from the abdominal wall to reveal the underlying muscles and fascia that are then tightened using stitches.
- The surgeon might perform a liposuction to match the contours of the abdominal structure more smoothly.
- A compression garment is used to soak up any excess fluid from the surgery site.
Partial Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A partial abdominoplasty is performed through:
- Small incisions are made above the pubic region.
- The underlying muscle and fascia are accessed by removing the fat and skin along the abdominal wall in a limited manner. The excessive skin is removed and the remaining skin is stretched down to cover the space.
- The doctor might also consider shifting the naval lower down the abdominal wall.
- The necessary tightening of the muscle and fascia in the abdominal wall is done.
- At times, liposuction is required to correct the contour of the abdominal wall.
- The doctor closes the incision with sutures.
Extended Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
This procedure requires performing a complete tummy tuck along with a lateral thigh lift procedure. This procedure involves all the steps followed in a complete tummy tuck procedure as well as tucking in the excess fat and skin from the top of the waist so that the curve blends in perfectly to the thigh area.
Are there any risks or complications with abdominal surgery procedure?
As with any kind of major surgical procedure the abdominoplasty procedure also might induce certain risks or complications, such as:
- Pain or Swelling – Post surgery the doctor will usually prescribe painkillers to decrease the risk of swelling and to alleviate any pain if experienced by the patient.
- Numbness – Numb tummy and waist along with a little bruising can be seen after the surgery.
- Infection – The doctor will prescribe the required antibiotics to reduce and control infections.
- Blood clot – The doctor will prescribe certain blood-thinning agents to reduce the chances of a blood clot due to inactivity after the surgery for a few days.
- Internal hemorrhage – To stop internal bleeding the doctor is likely to use compression garments for the first week to drain any excess fluid from the surgery area.
What is the difference between Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?
Liposuction involves removing the excess abdominal fat from under the skin as well as above the abdominal muscle wall. This is ideal for patients with a good underlying muscle tone to get attractive and flattened tummy. The tummy tuck procedure, on the other hand, requires using liposuction method to remove the excessive underlying fat from the abdominal skin and above the abdominal wall muscles, in addition to it this procedure also requires removing the excess loose skin which is seen mostly after the underlying fat has been removed. This procedure not only removes the excess fat but also removes the excessive and loose flap of skin left after the fat removal from the abdomen.
What are the advantages and benefits of Tummy Tuck Surgery?
This method of abdominoplasty is proven to be extra advantageous for women who have unnaturally excessive degree of lower abdominal skin laxity, noticeable stretch marks or suffer from severely stretched abdominal muscles.